Experiences in Outreach

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Environment of Safety

I seem to be using the phrase, environment of safety, quite a bit these days and today I did it again.

I stood before a crowd of over 80 poor people today and asked for individual prayer requests at our "Loaves and Fishes" food distribution held each week. Some weeks I sense a great deal of sadness and pain in the room and today was one of those days. On two occasions before the person could complete the request, their voice broke and their eyes teared up. After the requests died down and just before the prayer, I told them how much I appreciated them feeling like they have an environment of safety to express painful issues to be lifted up in prayer.

For the past two weeks, after the closing prayer, I have sat with two different individuals as they expressed deep pain over the loss of a family member or a battle with disease. Also, its not uncommon that others will share with the other ministers, or members who are present.

I have wondered in the past if they do this everywhere they go and have asked some of them individually why it seems so easy? The usual comment is, "because we feel you really care". I think this is probably true for anyone and not just the poor.

Please pray for hearts that care and ears willing to listen.

4 Comments:

  • Mark I am so thankful that you are doing this. YOu bless us.

    By Blogger Arlene Kasselman, at 3:30 PM  

  • Thank you so much for doing this. It is a blessing.

    By Blogger Arlene Kasselman, at 3:30 PM  

  • I too have been touched by the openess and honesty I experience @ L&F's. It's helping to put my life in a proper perspective. There is much we can learn from these folks. You're doing a great job!

    By Blogger Steven J Bruce, at 5:37 PM  

  • Clouds may pass across the sky, but they don't stain it. So it is with the heart that early in the morning opens to receive God's Peace.


    --from a book called "Gold Dust"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home