Experiences in Outreach

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Earning The Right Into Lives

I suppose it is true of any segment of society but I find it especially true in my ministry, as it relates to the way relationships progress to a point that people let you into the deep recesses of their lives and feelings.

Yesterday, I sat in the living room of a woman, talking about where she is spiritually and her brief life story, which, is quite interesting. As I drove away after about an hour visit, I couldn't help but think that just a year ago she was just one of the many who come to our Thursday food distribution that we see once a week that are acquaintances. However, she told me one day, that her son was in a Texas prison and asked if I would write to him and try to encourage him because he was quite depressed. I did write, and quickly received a return letter from him much to his mother's delight. From that time on, the doors into her life began to open, and soon she was inviting me and the other members of our staff to her house for coffee, lunch, dinner, etc.. Would this have happened if I hadn't written the letter? I can't say. However, I can say, that the more I invest time and effort into peoples lives, the more doors continue to open, which results in meaningful relationships like this one.

Oh, by the way, she is placing her membership with the church this week and we are privileged to have her.

3 Comments:

  • Hey Mark,

    I just ran across your blog and look forward to hearing your stories. God is doing a great work through you in Amarillo. I still miss our rocking chair talks!

    Blessings!
    Debbie Hubbard

    By Blogger debbie, at 6:51 PM  

  • Hey Mark!

    I just ran across the link to your blog and I look forward to reading more of your stories. God is changing lives in Amarillo because of your ministry! I still miss our rocking chair talks.

    Blessings,
    Debbie Hubbard

    By Blogger debbie, at 6:52 PM  

  • The rocking chair is still there ready to go when you come and visit. Thanks for your comment.

    By Blogger Mark Love, at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home